Planning for the Final Piece 

Ideas:
After looking at the illustrative art of Brother Grimm's Fairy Tales, not only did the many pieces of art inspire me, it also encouraged me to take more of a modern approach to my final piece.

One of my favourite child's tales would have to be Robert Browning's The Pied Piper of Hamelin. And so I went further to take a look at the illustrations online.




All in all, this is a very dark story. At first we are presented with a Hero who is promised fifty thousand florins by the Mayor to play his music to the many rats in the town, who will then follow him and not come back. However when he does not receive the money promised by the Mayor the Piper then plays his music to the children who he takes from the town and are never to be seen again.

Presented in this story is heroism, victory, betrayal, and horror. And what I like most about it, is how he has the power to attract any living creature and control them. And so this idea of a powerful person has inspired me to take a similar approach for my final piece.

This then gave me the idea of taking something beautiful and making it ugly.

That then made me think about  'Firebird Suite, Fantasia 2000':


This is such a lovely, naturalistic animation. What I like most is this idea of spring being personified into a beautiful girl who comes along and changes winter into spring. And so here we have the idea of changing something dark into something beautiful, which is exactly what I am aiming for but the other way around.






No comments:

Post a Comment